I have looked into the larger Green Party. I love some of their ideas :
(from gp.org platform)
11. The Electoral College is an 18th century anachronism. We call for a constitutional amendment abolishing the Electoral College and providing for the direct election of the president by Instant Runoff Voting. Until that time, we call for a proportional allocation of delegates in state primaries.
a. Re-formulate all international trade relations and commerce as currently upheld by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the World Trade Organization (WTO), the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank (WB), and the nascent Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) to protect the labor, human rights, economy, environment and domestic industry of partner and recipient nations so that the growth of local industry and agriculture has the advantage over foreign corporate domination.
We call for the repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act. Many of its provisions, along with many of the other so-called National Security Acts, undermine and erode our Bill of Rights, and contribute to the destruction of the democratic foundation of checks and balances between the branches of government.
a. More progressive taxation. Sales, corporate and income taxes should be adjusted to relieve the burden on those less able to pay and increase the burden on large and multinational corporations and the super wealthy, who do not pay their fair share. Raise the state income tax for higher income people. Also, reduce income taxes for low-wage workers to encourage people to seek employment rather than relying on public assistance.
b. Raising corporate taxes. The corporate share of taxes has fallen from 33% in the 1940s to 7% today, while the individual share has risen from 44% to 85%.
9. Adopting a reduced-hour (30-35 hours) work week as a standard. This could translate into as many as 26 million new jobs.Think of how much more productive in you own life you could be with an extra 5 to 10 hours per week! How much more time with family and friends.
10. We advocate that prisoners be granted the right to vote. [See section H.Prison Conditions on page 35 in chapter II]
n. Our defense budget has increased out of all proportion to any military threat to the United States, and to our domestic social, economic and environmental needs. The United States government must reduce our defense budget to half of its current size. The 2005 defense budget is estimated at around $425 billion, and that does not take into account military expenditures not placed under the defense budget
o. The U.S. has over 700 foreign military bases. We urge our government to phase out all bases not specifically functioning under a U.N. resolution to keep peace and bring home our troops stationed abroad, except for the military assigned to protect a U.S. embassy. Many of these bases are small and can be closed immediately. We advocate further reductions in U.S. foreign military bases at a rate of closure of 1/4 to 1/5 of their numbers every year.We do have lots of military bases and the budget is really big compared to any threat we currently face. However, If we close the bases and cut the budget - we loose all of those jobs and flood our already stressed job market, skyrocketing unemployment and poverty. Its fine to have ideals, but you can't enact ideals because there are always unintended consequences. If you don't have a plan for all the consequences, you have a disaster.
2. Every jurisdiction should have a civilian complaint review board with subpoena power and the ability to order the dismissal of police officers who make false arrests and abuse those whom they arrest.
5. We call for citizen control of redistricting processes and moving the "backroom" apportionment process into the public light. Give the 10-year redistricting process to the Census Bureau or an independent agency. Minority representation must be protected and secured in order to protect minority rights.I am just not sure how fair that really is. You are drawing lines to increase the numbers of people that fit or don't fit a certain profile - racial profiling. Fair would be straight lines across a state every certain measurement, or every certain number of counties from North to South... or East to West. Drawing lines to include the most or equal numbers of x or y doesn't seem really fair to me.
k. Under the agency of the United Nations, we demand that our government renew and initiate government funding and support for family planning, contraception, and abortion in all countries that request it.I prefer to end or greatly curb all foreign aid... If we are getting loans from China (etc) then we don't have the money to loan other countries. Aid and Charity are things you can do when you can afford it. Apparently, we can't.
I do support making family planning, contraception and abortion available in OUR country to all who request it. If you are against abortion, don't have one and you can advertise and educate all you want - just don't legislate anyone else's choice.
My local Green Party is all about total non-violence and ending the Death Penalty. I am not that lenient by a long shot. Heck, I support a quicker application of the death penalty in open-and-shut cases where the conviction is unquestionable. Murderers, serial rapists, child molesters and other such criminals need to be taken completely out of the world as quick as possible. While in prison, they need to be made to work to help support their rehabilitation. They don't need coddling, three meals a day and a roof over their head to reward their criminal behavior. I would prefer to only house real criminals in prisons - not 'victim-less' criminals like people who smoke or possess pot.