Second, an article on Truthout. Not exactly for it's scathing review of progressives, but for a section on recovering Democracy.
( I clipped and rearranged a couple items in the following clip from the article )
Structural political reforms are needed for that movement to transmit change through government at all levels. <clip> The two-party system is sclerotic. <clip> The reason for this is that the rules of the game that elect our representatives actually hurt [Democracy].
A truly democratic electoral (and thus political) system would include:
I am not sure (yet) what all Proportional Representation entails, but I'll find out. Everything else sounds right on spot.
- Public financing of campaigns.
- Free media time for campaigns.
- Universal/automatic voter registration.
- Direct election of the president (abolition of the electoral college).
- Instant runoff voting to allow voters to express their true preferences and prevent spoilers.
- Proportional representation (allowing more than two parties).Together these measures would serve to both expand the electorate and broaden representation in our legislatures.